Thursday, October 9, 2008

NaNoWriMo 2008

So, I've decided to embark upon a creative exploration this fall, and one of the primary things I will be doing to accomplish this is participating in National Novel Writing Month. I've never classified myself as a writer in the past, but I decided that I was going to stop painting myself into corners with the possibilities for my life. Hence why I'm willing to do "crazy" things like electing to write 50,000 words in one month! I know, that's like 163 pages. I would've had to go through 2 bachelor's degrees in Florida to write that many pages...for those of you not from FL, the whole state has this "Gordon Rule" requirement that says you have to satisfy 24,000 written words during your undergraduate degree. I was always particularly peeved when teachers included term papers in a class that didn't qualify for Gordon Rule.

Anyway, back to NaNoWriMo...I think I'm going to write a memoir. That idea came on good recommendation from a wonderful friend. I know it's not exactly a novel, but I'm sure I can fictionalize my life...it was boring enough the first time around, no need to relive it the same exact way! Go check out NaNoWriMo if you think you'd be interested in joining!

No comments: